April 01, 2011

Hoshizora no Memoria Cirno Patch out (and updated review)!



Anyway, I'm happy to announce the release of this partial patch, the aptly-named Cirno Patch. This patch translates the first ⑨⑨⑨⑨ lines of the game, which covers the first half of the common route, and approximately 20% of the game overall. This joint-product of Staircase Subs and EveTaku spanned three full months of QC'ing and about three months more of translation. We hope you enjoy this release.

The patch can be found on Staircase Subs' blog, or here. Credit obviously goes to them for the translation and hacking, and to myself and the rest of EveTaku's staff for editing. Special thanks also goes to the people that frequent a certain other blog's IRC, for lending a helping hand in my poor attempt at TLC'ing as well.

I've commented on the game before, based on the prologue, here. Obviously, my outlook on the game has expanded since then, and for the better, IMO. Without spoiling too much, following the prologue, the game does continue its trend of taking silly scenes and using them as daily occurrences for its basis for humor. This was apparent in the prologue alone; for example, with Chinami's constant interruptions. But while some people might get annoyed or tired with the repetition, the game does throw in some variety with the game's increasingly interesting characters, both minor and major, and the scenes they offer (YMMV, of course). Also, as for myself, said repetition of scenes made QC'ing the scripts for consistency that much more important. Just saying. I attribute that for the reason why it took me so long for me to do my second revision, let alone my first one. >_>

But back to the game and its characters. Again, I've gone over them before in the prologue post, but I was surprised to see just how much my opinion of them improved. The main character, You, is actually a pretty damn good protagonist, for much of what he does, and what he comes to terms with. To me, there isn't really a dull moment in how he takes these repetitive moments in stride, as well as his methods of handling unforeseen events. And possibly one of his best traits is that, what flaws he does have (or did have in the past), he not only recognizes, but he makes an active effort to improve himself over the course of each day (most of this revolves around his "breaking away" from his identity as a nerd with no friends, and trying to be an amiable, sociable guy instead). That's not an accomplishment that many VN protagonists can boast, so the guy definitely deserves credit for it.

Likewise, the other characters also got to grow on me as the game went on, particularly for the ones I didn't like/care for *coughIsuzucoughKomomocough*. It becomes especially apparent when they interact with each other, as with Asuho and Chinami, or Chinami and Suzuha. Even people who didn't like Chinami, in the prologue or otherwise, might be happy to hear that, while she gets less screentime due to being in a different class from her onii-chan, the screentime that she does have is better spent by bringing other characters in all the fun.


So, with that, I hope you guys enjoy the game as much as I've enjoyed it so far. There's all this and more to look forward to once you've install the patch.

Btw, I'm open to any constructive criticism on my editing. Since this is the first time I've ever done this, I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting myself into, but I felt that it was a good experience for myself, and a good investment for everyone else's enjoyment of the game as well. Of course, the script isn't perfect as I'd like it, but as our protagonist proves, recognizing that you have room to improve and making an effort to do so makes you a better character.

(Okay, I admit, that was lame. Plus, this doesn't help my real life situation or my job as the main blogger at all given how, in the end, I'm still a damn slacker.) >_>

3 comments:

  1. So far the patch is good.

    The pains we went through to edit the scripts, orz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the patch does not work please help?

    ReplyDelete