December 17, 2010

Full Impressions on Amagami SS

Back to blogging a little about anime. I stopped doing so because it was too tedious and I had time restrictions. Luckily, our "writer" will be picking that up in my stead.

Anyways, I just recently finished Amagami SS.

Far right girl is mine.


So the anime covers each girl, with each girl getting four episodes. After every four episodes, the series recycles again (If you've ever watched/read Higurashi and Umineko, it's similar to that). Basically, the Amagami universe restarts itself every four episodes so it's as if everything that happened didn't happen. I'm somewhat ok with this format they stuck with. It gives a lot of room for more character development and interaction, and it works a lot like a visual novel (which is what Amagami SS actually is). The downside to this is that it feels as if after the fourth episode, everyone feels detached from each other in that certain people never met.

So, having never played the visual novel, I can't say for sure how faithful this series to the original source. What I can say about the anime is that the pacing is well done, nothing really feels too rushed. Animation is great, favorite openings and endings of the season, and an amazing likable cast of characters. A lot of major character types are covered, ranging from the Hinagiku-esque school idol type to a semi-yandere to a kuudere to a deredere girl, plus more. Certainly, you'll find a character you'll like. Another thing about this series is that as every arc is only four episodes, if you don't particularly like a certain character, it's fine to skip their arc completely and still miss out on nothing.

By far, however, I'll have to say that Nanasaki Ai's arc is definitely my favorite.

Pictured: My waifu
Seriously. The main character doesn't deserve someone as perfect as her. Where was she during my high school life? ;_;

Anyways, if I were to rank my favorite arcs, it would go as such:
1) Nanasaki Ai
2) Ayatsuji Tsukasa
3) Morishima Haruka
4) Kaoru Tanamachi
5) Nakata Sae
6) Rihoko Sakurai

Rihoko's not a bad character per say, but her arc didn't develop anything. Four episodes, and no progress between the main character and the main heroine? Seriously? I don't know if it was like this in the PS2 game, but it certainly was annoying to watch. Also, typical childhood friend fare between the main character and Rihoko. Forever friend zone'd. ;_;


Nakata Sae...I just don't particularly like her character.

She's got nice boobs though.


 Kaoru Tanamachi is a bro. But she's a girl, so I guess a shebro?


Morishima Haruka's a good character, albeit somewhat stereotypical. Naturally beautiful school idol, voiced by Shizuka Itou nonetheless. Her arc was really well done, full of fanservice and fluff.


Ayatsuji Tsukasa's arc was surprising, to say the least. I won't try to spoil anything, but her hidden side was really a shock, considering her attitude for the past 19 episodes before her arc. Her arc had the most plot to it and a lot of events and development. I suppose that's because she's the "main" heroine of Amagami. Either way, the arc felt really complete at the end, so it was a satisfying watch.


Nanasaki Ai. Do I really have to say anymore? I'll be honest, I almost passed out from hyperventilation at the last episode. That was too much for me to take. The rest of the arc was extremely cute, and Nanasaki herself is really cute too. And more. Seriously, if you don't like Amagami or if you're not interested in Amagami, at least just watch her arc.

Pictured: My waifu

Pictured: My waifu

Pictured: My waifu

Pictured: My waifu

Pictured: My waifu

Pictured: My waifu

Anyways, that wraps up my impressions of Amagami SS. My next post will probably be a Top 10 Games of the Decade thing similar to what our cleaner did.

And some more news about Takkoku!!:

Wait some more. Our translator's still going through finals, so it'll take a while. It'll be out by next week for sure though.

Leave some comments if you want to see anything else on this site. My mic also arrived recently, so I'll have a podcast up sometime over the weekend probably, since I'm on my winter vacation right now.

3 comments:

  1. Her elblows are too pointy...I actually think that Kaoru Tanamachi's arc is better because of the awesome story development and her cute voice. But overall, I would clap them cheeks. Her aesthetics are fine while Nanasaki is a slut. =.=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayatsuji's arc is the best for me. I was so annoyed at the arc before hers (which is the Sakuari Rihoko's arc) but watching her arc made the best impression to me (for the anime also, as a whole)

    Next to Ayatsuji is Morishima's arc.

    Then, Nanasaki's arc. Gomen, your favorite is just the third one for me. Like you, I almost faint at the ending of Nanasaki's arc. It was so UNPREDICTABLE to the extent that I almost had a heart attack! Hehe. Just sharing. O_O

    And then follows with Nakata, Tanamachi then Sakurai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say one thing...Hot spring. That is all.

    ReplyDelete